The surprise announcement by the unelected government said the halt in fighting would run until April 22 to show compassion for people affected by last week's quake.
As U.S. experts head to Myanmar to assist in recovery from the Southeast Asia earthquake, teams from China are filling the void.
21hon MSN
Here’s what to know about the challenges from the natural disaster—compounded by ongoing civil war—and where the country could go from here.
State television MRTV said the truce would run until April 22 and was aimed at showing compassion for people affected by Friday's quake.
Myanmar's deadliest natural disaster in years has strengthened the position of ruling general Min Aung Hlaing.
Buildings in Myanmar are continuing to collapse five days after a powerful earthquake struck the country, creating perilous conditions for rescuers as they attempt to extricate survivors from the rubble.
Explore more
So far, 2,886 people have been reported dead in Myanmar and another 4,639 injured, according to state television MRTV, but local reports suggest much
When armed rebels seized northern Myanmar's rare-earths mining belt in October, they dealt a blow to the country's embattled military junta - and wrested control of a key global resource.